Troubleshooting a Slow Site
If your site has slow loading times, we have a few steps to follow to help us better troubleshoot. We will need you to answer the following questions and then contact us. The easiest way to accomplish this would be to open an email, copy the information below, and answer the questions from there before submitting.
- Please go to speedtest.net for a bandwidth test. Use 2 locations, one closer to you, and one closer to Kansas City.
- Please save the PerformanceTest.txt file (attached below) to your desktop. Before running please save and rename this file, changing the .txt extension to .bat. After running the .bat (by double-clicking), you will have to wait a few minutes before it completes. Once completed, you will have results.txt saved on your desktop. Attach this Results.txt to your response email.
- Please run a traceroute to the website URL and/or IP address (You may need to contact your IT team to request a traceroute)
- Please run a pathping to the website URL and/or IP Address
- What speed do you see as appropriate for a page to load when logging in or enabling live edit?
- What speed do you see as appropriate for a front end page to load?
- What Browser do you experience this in?
- What CPU/Processor does your computer use?
- How much RAM (Random Access Memory) is on your computer?
- What Operating System runs on your computer?
- Does this seem to be more evident on certain pages?
- Does this seem to happen every day or only certain days?
- Does this only happen at certain times of day, or does it occur more frequently in a certain timespan?
- Do you or your office have a Web Proxy or Web content Filter in place?
- If you use the site other than at work, do you notice the slowness elsewhere as well, such as from home or on your cell phone?
- Is this slowness constant? (a.k.a. is it slow every time you go to the page, or only sometimes, or only the first time each day)
- If you go to your CivicPlus production site URL (Includes ".civicplus.com" using SSL, does the speed improve? (i.e. https://ny-nyc.civicplus.com/)
- What is your network's external IP address? (to be used by our network engineers to investigate traffic routing)